The SOCIETY’s third objective is the preservation of our heritage/culture. The children of immigrants benefit measurably from exposure to their Portuguese heritage. We have accomplished this objective by various methods:
- Support the teaching of the Portuguese language
- Direct financial support of credible projects
- Purchasing of text books
- Buying of Portuguese flags/maps for classrooms throughout Massachusetts
- Prince Henry “The Navigator” statue located at Prince Henry Park on Popes’s Island in New Bedford serves as a permanent testament to our heritage and his responsibility for the early development of European exploration and maritime trade with other continents.
- Various sponsorships for “The Arts” including the “Windows of the Azores” and the Susan Melo’s recital at the Zeiterion Theater
- Our Scholarship Program: The process from application to final award focuses heavily on the importance of being aware and proud of the Applicant’s heritage.
- For the SOCIETY’s 25th Anniversary in 2005, we commissioned local artist Arthur Moniz to create a collection of only 200 original prints to permanently memorialize this occasion. The end product was a beautiful rendition of our statue and surroundings at Prince Henry Park.